Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Want To Go North

As in, way up north. Way, way, way up north. Far enough north that I can see the Northern Lights and the Midnight Sun and that I'll go outside and freeze.

I don't care exactly where I go. I could go to Alaska or Nunavut, Greenland or Tromsø, Lapland or Murmansk or wherever. I don't really know why I want to go either. I just do. When I think of the north, it seems so unreal. Up there, it's light when it should be dark and dark when it should be light. It's too cold - humans shouldn't be able to live in that sort of cold - but they do. When I think of the north, I think of white snow and soft blue ice and gray sky, of short tundra grass and the ocean, and it seems so weirdly inviting.

I don't know why I want to go north, but I do. I just want to wander up to the top of the world and hang there for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment